Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Edit In Context Issues - related to sub and main assembly issues

IsoworksIsoworks Member Posts: 22 PRO
HELP!

I am not excited about sharing this model but I have run into some issues with the Edit in Context feature that I cannot figure out. 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/479333b98ee0bd7ef9dfe087/w/c2e8fd62dd22abf8663ae579/e/12512661951e679ea2279ffd

I have used the edit in the context to create some rough concepts. However, the result is that there are changes in the model that I did not expect. 
The arrows to the right of the part obviously indicate that there was some effect of using the edit in context. But it is unclear to me how the edit in context affects parts that were in the context but were not edited. 

The dashed line arrows to the right of the components are something different than the solid arrow. But my biggest issue is that the mates are not holding from sub-assembly to primary assembly and for parts, or directly related parts, that were not edited in context. 

The front handle in the sub-assy is mated in the correct location. 

In the main assy:

This is not the only issue but it is the easiest to visualize. What does not make sense to me is that regardless of which option I choose to "set as as primary instance" there seems to be no change to the front handle issue. Following the revolving door of the right click options related to the context I cannot seem to resolve the issue. 

I hope that someone can point out the error of my ways.

Thank you in advance.

Ian Osborne

Comments