Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Surface Modelling

ron_24ron_24 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
Surface modelling is not an area of CAD that in the past I have got involved with. Recently though I have watched a few Solid-Works videos on this subject, and have come to appreciate what a powerful tool it is for the construction of geometry on complex 3D models.

At Present, the surface modelling features of OS appear to be limited to the extruding of sketches.

Are the current lack of surface modelling features proving to be a serious restriction to early OS adopters?.

Is a comprehensive set of  surface modelling tools a strong contender on many OS users wish list?.

Comments

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I agree that at this point of time surface modelling features in Onshape are limited. Presently requirement of many Onshape users is limited to medium complex part modelling which may not require advanced surfacing features. In case if there is any complex geometry, it can be achieved with multiple set of Boolean features.
    Having surface modelling tools is one of the key area Onshape has already focussed on it. There is one discussion on the same topic here
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/215/onshape-and-surfacing/p1
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ron_24 said:

At Present, the surface modelling features of OS appear to be limited to the extruding of sketches.

Not so: all OnS features (including revolve, sweep, and loft) are just as much surface-producing as solid-producing, and can work with open geometry (a single, open ended spline, for instance)