Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Mate connector defined based on a mate connector

monroe_weber_shirkmonroe_weber_shirk Member Posts: 96 EDU
I am using instantiator to bring multiple part studios into a parent level part studio. I want to connect the incoming parts in very specific ways and have mate connectors defined on all parts for making the connections. However, I want to be able to rotate and change the elevation of parts in the parent studio. I don't want to transform the parts themselves because they leave behind all of their sketches and mate connectors like lost souls when I move an imported part. This problem stems from the fact that when using mate connectors the ability to rotate and translate is lost.
  • Is there a another method to bring parts into a part studio and get them into the correct position that I should be using? I know one answer is assemblies, but I can't use assemblies for other reasons.
  • Could mate connectors be allowed to be defined based on a mate connector? This way I could import one part, add a translation mate connector to a mate connector that is on the part, and then bring in a second part that would mate to the intermediate translation mate connector.
Ideas welcome!
Tagged:

Comments

• konstantin_shiriazdanovkonstantin_shiriazdanov Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Since you using instantiator you can include mate connectors to the query of the bodies being instantiated and transform them together. Mate connector is a body, as well as sketches, and both of them can be trnsformed, if they are captured by the query.
  • monroe_weber_shirkmonroe_weber_shirk Member Posts: 96 EDU
    Thank you Konstantin. The good news is that there seem to be multiple strategies for solving this problem. I'm still exploring what will work best in our design approach.