Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Assembly vs Multipart studio

david_Laframboisedavid_Laframboise Member Posts: 2 PRO
I'm into design of fuel tank made mostly of aluminum sheets metal, see attached file. The tank is welded all together and no part is free from moving relative to another.

I want to create a template that would allow me to easily change various configuration such as heads size, manholes positions and quantity, tank length, compartements length and number, etc. I have a library of the all the various part.

I was wondering what would be the best practice to create this. 

A - Creating a assembly with loads of complicated mates relating parts from one another. In this case, I can easily extract a BOM but any change in design could unleash numerous headache.

B - Creating a multi-part studio with various derived parts. This allow easy changes in design and configurations. However, problem is that I can't extract a BOM from a part studio because no parts can replicated itself into a part studio.

Is there a way to combined both world ? A master sketch with mates inserted into the assembly thats allows me to rapidly place parts into the assembly ? 

We started with Onshape about a month ago and we want to start on the right foot.

Thank you!

Comments