Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Hello I am trying to create a 45 degree line from the mid point of the front part, then extrude

mario_darceuilmario_darceuil Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
 The 45 degree line will be extruded into square a neck for this electric scooter build. For this I created a plane from three points to draw the line on the plane then extrude from there. The line looks slanted. How do i create a plane to draw the 45 degree line for extrusion.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/fddd3b3610f0c9cd2a5fb4e1/w/ba9a9f617223840b201f89d3/e/dd2ab1326be2527e5bafe98c

Answers

• Options
    mario_darceuilmario_darceuil Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Also it doesn't look like the line begins at the mid point either
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @mario_darceuil

First good work trying different tool! 

I have a few points and suggestion -
    1) your sketch 5 & 7 are empty so it would be good to delete them
    2) on sketch 6 you did a trick I did not know is supported.  You have the new point coincident to two mid-points of Part 1 which places the point equi-distant from the mid-points.  clever although I think there are better ways and again, I am not sure that is supported; it took me a while to figure out how it was accomplished.  That could be ignorance on my part and would be good for someone else to chime in here.
    3) Your plane two could be simpler by using "Plane point" with one of the mid-points and the Right Plane
    4)  Make sure to constrain your sketch geometry (all black).  Your 45 degree line is floating and should be tied down to your center point. 
    5) Since your stated goal is to extrude a surface vertically on a 45 degree angle - I suggest creating a Mate Connector at center of Part 1 and then rotate it to be the normal to sketch.  Then Sketch 6 (center point) is not needed.

see this document where I suppressed some of your features and added the step 5 method.  Hope that helps!

www.accuratepattern.com