Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I create a Part Studio in context to an Assembly without loosing the update feature?

michael_schaubmichael_schaub Member Posts: 9
edited March 2021 in Using Onshape
Hello everybody,

I am trying to execute a pretty simple task:
I importet step files and added them to my assembly and oriented them properly.

No I want to reference them in a part studio and start to create a new part in context.

By now I found to options to do so:

- Right click on a part in the assembly and use "Edit in context"
- The button "create part studio in context" in the assembly

Both options come with issues:
Using "Right click / Edit in context" just sends me back to the original Part Studio of the imported part.
I do not want to mess around in this part studio.
First of all: There is already the original part inside, which makes it unnecessary annoying to work in. I now have one real part and one ghosted.
Second: In case I mess with the original part by accident, I do affect the assembly
Third: I am unable to creat a second part stuido, to sketch a completely different part. Only the original Part-Studio is available to work in.
Fourth: If I ever do this not based on an imported step file, but based on a self-created part, the entire feature tree of the part creation will be inside this original part stuido. It will be a mess to work with.

Assembly:

Result in the original part stuido:

Using the button "Edit in context" gives me exatly what I want:
Both drawings are ghosted in a newly created part studio. I can now reference their surfaces.
However, I cannot update the part stuido after I did changes to the assembly.
It seems as if this option only allows to work based on a snapshot. Which makes it impossible to update.

Result:

What I am looking for should be the most basic use:
Have an assembly as a parent document and the part studio as a child document.
Allowing the assembly to be modified and the reference in the part studio to be updated automatically.

Onshape is clearly able to do it: When I choose the first described option.
But I would really like to find a way to do it properly, based on option 2.

Thanks a lot for taking the time

Best Regards,
Michael