Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to use a pre-defined variable as an argument inside a math function?

john270john270 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I've been struggling to figure out how to use a pre-defined variable as an argument inside a math function such as floor(x) or ceil(x).  I can get a real number to work fine as the argument, but every time I use a variable expression such as floor(#length) where the #length has been previously given a decimal real number value through a configuration table, it returns with the error of "Invalid Expression".  Yet I see instructions to do this very thing in several Learning Center videos.  Am I missing a correct syntax format to do this?  I just can't find any documentation of how to use the variables inside functions.  I would appreciate the help.

Answers

• Options
    ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,175
    The problem is that you can't take the floor or ceiling of a length, only a number.  (This is because the floor of a length in inches is different than in meters; if we were to use document units, then changing units would change the design, which is undesirable).  The way to do this computation, if the units you care about are inches is:
    floor(#length / in) * in
    The division converts the length into a number of inches, and the multiplication converts the floored result back to a length.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc
  • Options
    john270john270 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Yes, thank you for your response. I now realize I need to divide by "in" to get it unitless.  I didn't realize that since I was using that variable as a length for a part, that it carried the units with it.  I was assuming it got treated like "number" in the variable type choices.  I understand now.