Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sprocket and Chain Assembly

james_lee020james_lee020 Member Posts: 1
Hello everybody, 

First-time poster here. I've been using Onshape for a little while now; ever since the beginning of the school year for my high school engineering class. As of now, I've started using Onshape for an entirely different purpose-- a robotics project for a high school club. It involves Tetrix MAX parts. As part of generating concepts, I have to develop a 3D model of my robot. The concept I'm very loosely basing it off of is posted below.

I assembled the chassis with relative ease. I also expect the armature system to be relatively easy as well. The only part I am struggling with is my drive train, which, as you can see in the reference image, uses a sprocket and chain system. 

I've also posted a screenshot of my Onshape assembly to show how far along I have come so far. I have the sprockets aligned and in place, but I don't know how to attach the chain to the sprockets. You can see in my reference image the way in which I want to weave the chain around the sprockets.

Could someone help explain to me how I am supposed to do this (preferably as simply as possible considering my level of experience)?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 541 ✭✭✭
    Just extrude the shape of the chain and pretend it's a chain :)
  • Options
    Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    Chain is tricky to do, and it can sap your performance quite a bit, especially if you're on a low end computer. One option to create chain is to create a sketched path of your chain in a part studio, then pattern sweep a link along it and create a composite part of the chain run. If you are on a low end machine, then I would recommend simply extruding the chain run as a block instead, like @dirk_van_der_vaart suggested.

There might also be a few chain FeatureScripts in existence which could help with what you're trying to do, but most only support single runs between two sprockets, so you're probably out of luck there.
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

• Options
    imants_smidchensimants_smidchens Member Posts: 62 EDU
    sorry it took so long for me to see this: I developed a chain generator FS that might be exactly what you're looking for! You input sprocket positions as sketch points, sprocket teeth at each point, and the chain pitch, and it'll generate a (relatively) accurate model of the chain, telling you how many links it uses, etc. The spacing is as close to accurate as reasonably possible (equal spacing with linear interpolation between points, as opposed to the curve pattern) and has a reasonable library of standard chain models built in (or you can use a custom link)

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/1be886df2e36b431c92b2d61/w/791200d47653055fd5d51eb7/e/dbfe2637c98be2d89db5d08e