Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Surface Area for Assembly

dave_fogliattidave_fogliatti Member Posts: 2 EDU
Is there a way to have the Mass Properties Tool show the outside only surface area for two mated parts in an assembly?  I did a quick example with two unit cubes and wanted to have the Surface Area be calculated as 10 in^2  instead of 12 in^2 so the two mated (fasten tool) sides in the assembly did not count towards the surface area.  

I'm a teacher and I'm doing the typical "assemble the cube" project but wanted them to practice surface area volume for each puzzle piece before the assembly.  The volume is super easy but not sure how to do a bottom-up construction using mated cubes vs building each piece as one part. 

Thanks,

Dave 

Comments

• Options
    mahirmahir Member, Developers Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    There's no "open-air" or "non-contact" filter you could use. You're stuck selecting individual faces that you want to measure one at a time and using the measure tool instead of the mass properties tool. Alternatively, you can measure bodies like you're doing now via the mass properties tool, but then selectively measure just your contact surfaces with the measure tool. A little subtraction, and you have your desired result... although more slowly than you'd prefer.