Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Why does Onshape treat updating the feature script of new branches as a special significant event?

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
I wondering why it doesn't just happen?  Is there some reason why I would not want it too?  Not updating just creates communication issues between branches.  I'm trying to understand why the user needs to play a part is deciding if a branches feature script gets updated.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    I'm assuming you are referring to this notification : 

I'm happy you've paid attention to it - we often hear from users who delete it without reading.
    To answer your question, while updating a workspace we need to lock it from other changes. Updating of a complex workspace takes a long time ( we allot 30 min. on the server that is doing this job) .We don't want the users to wait this long before they can start using a newly created workspace. That why we are offering options "Now" (if you don't mind waiting now, but want to be able to use new functionality) or "Later" if you want to start making changes immediately and the system will make several attempts to grab this workspace for update when you are not working on it.  May be in a future we'll be smarter and learn to do the update work in the background without blocking the user. We have not solved that problem yet.

Answers

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    I'm assuming you are referring to this notification : 

I'm happy you've paid attention to it - we often hear from users who delete it without reading.
    To answer your question, while updating a workspace we need to lock it from other changes. Updating of a complex workspace takes a long time ( we allot 30 min. on the server that is doing this job) .We don't want the users to wait this long before they can start using a newly created workspace. That why we are offering options "Now" (if you don't mind waiting now, but want to be able to use new functionality) or "Later" if you want to start making changes immediately and the system will make several attempts to grab this workspace for update when you are not working on it.  May be in a future we'll be smarter and learn to do the update work in the background without blocking the user. We have not solved that problem yet.

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 798 PRO
    Thanks for the answer.  I had seen it a few times in the past but also just ignored it out of ignorance.  It wasn't until I started getting more use out of branching that the support team had to also take me by the hand and show me what was going on.  It makes sense to allow the option if there is a possibility of longer processing times.