Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Clean chamfer on an arc with inconsistent distance

brian_dieckmanbrian_dieckman Member Posts: 7
Sorry if that title is confusing, and it's probably best to just show you the drawing rather than trying to explain it.  :D

Here's a link if you want to look at it in Onshape.

The part in blue needs to be chamfered from the outer edge at the top to the inner edge at the bottom. The inbuilt chamfer tool *almost* works... I can set two distances to get one edge perfect, but since the distance between the inner and outer shapes aren't consistent (It's not an inset operation, but two disparate profiles) it's impossible to get the chamfer to go all the way to the outer edge everywhere. (see example below... The chamfer on the upper right corner, right and left edges don't extend all the way to the outer profile.)

Clearly the Chamfer tool isn't the right one to use but after experimenting with Loft and Sweep, I'm getting nowhere.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Alex_KempenAlex_Kempen Member Posts: 244 EDU
    I think you might have more success if you're able to make all of the edges in your profile tangent to each other. Unfortunately, your profile is imported (and thus largely unconstrained), so you might have to redraw it - you could also try importing a reference image of your profile, then tracing it out with 2D splines (with curvature constraints) or arcs and lines (with tangent constraints). Once your edges are smoothly connected to each other, you can try chamfering again, or sweeping and lofting if that still doesn't work. 
    CS Student at UT Dallas
    Alex.Kempen@utdallas.edu
    Check out my FeatureScripts here:

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    @brian_dieckman - I don't think chamfer will work. Here's how I would approach this. 

1. Extrude the inner and outer profiles up as surfaces. Extrude them separately so that you can extrude the outside profile higher. 
    2. Use loft to create the angled top surface connecting the tops of the two surfaces created in step 1. 
    3. Use enclose (or loft, if it's not planar) to close off the bottom surface.

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @brian_dieckman, see if this approach accomplishes what you're seeking.  Apply the DELETE FACE tool to remove the faces that will be consumed by your chamfer.  Be sure to select the LEAVE OPEN option which will convert the solid (part) back to a surface model. 

Then LOFT a surface from one edge to the other.

Note that your geometry includes a few discontinuities (possibly resulting from improperly constrained sketches) that will have to be corrected before this method can be applied successfully.  I generated a highly simplified example just to illustrate the method.

Happy modeling.