Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Laser etch lines

rob_fieldrob_field Member Posts: 9
I've had a quick look through and noticed this question has been asked a couple of time a few years ago but can't find a solid answer. 

I have a sheet metal flat pattern that I want to etch fold lines and other sketch features. The file will be sent to a 3rd party laser cutters as a DXF file and the have requested showing the etch lines in yellow. How do I go about this? 

Secondary to this, how or what program can I use to open the DXF files so I can check them before sending them off.

Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    edited April 2021
    rob_field
    If you download and store the DXF in a new tab it will be opened in Ares Kudo. The lines will not be the right color or on the right layers so you can purchase a subscription to make changes. There are other programs that will work to do this as well I used to use Draftsight when it was free, Autodesk has a free viewer(not a good solution for making changes) and I'm sure there are others, however, I like the Ares solution because I am able to keep everything in Onshape.