Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Fill (area) between two sketches

luk_kukluk_kuk Member Posts: 10
Hi, I'm new to working in onshape. I need to fill in the space between two sketches, sketch 15 and 16. Can anyone help, please?

Comments

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Shapes like this can be a bit unintuitive starting out. There are a few areas to improve:

1. your surfaces can only be as good as the curves used to make them. Your profile sketch has some issues. If you want your surface to be smooth, the curves have to be tangent to each other. Yours comes to a point at the ends (see below).

To make smooth curves (and surfaces), shoot for as few spline points as possible. Here's mine. Notice that it's just one spline for half of the shape and the orange handles are vertically constrained so when I mirror the spline, it will be smooth.

2. The second question to ask here is what tool to use to get the surface you want. Usually I'd reach for Loft or Fill. Generally, either one is probably ok for what you need and the rest of this reply might be overkill, but here I go anyway. In this case Fill gives a better result. Without getting into too much theory, the way Fill creates this surface will be more stable for downstream operations (like Shell, Thicken, or Offset) because the underlying surface is more rectangular. See the example screenshot below, and check out this link to a copy of your workspace. The red curves on the left are from Loft, which pinches at the ends. The green ones are from Fill, which is more regular. That's what you want.

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl