Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sketch over a curved surve?

thales_maiathales_maia Member Posts: 8 EDU
Hi, first post here. I've been struggling for quite some time now, so I decided to ask for help.

I have a system that captures water from rain to a water tank. Unfortunately, I didn't build it thinking about maintenance. My filter is clogged and I've cut a small windows to replace the filter. Since a own a 3d printer, I just printed a jacket to it. Now here comes my problem.

I want to make some channels to place an o-ring, but I can't figure a way to proper make an extrude over a curved surface. Besides that, I want to build another windows with some screws that allow me to do proper maintenance.

I also need the duct for the o-ring for the external window.

O-Ring Groove Design  Global O-Ring and Seal

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @thales_maia, make your document PUBLIC (currently shared as view-only) if you want help with this.
  • Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 236
    Hello @thales_maia. Thank you for sharing. Could you share your document as public so we can make a copy? 
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Or you should be able to split a face with a plane to get a center curve of the groove.  Then use the curve to sweep the groove.  See help here.
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    Sorry, @John_P_Desilets, @matthew_stacy. Made it public

@bruce_williams thank you. My main problem is how to first cut the window. After that, with the use of some surfaces, I think I can manage (not sure).

• Options
    @thales_maia my first question is, have you cut the physical part yet?  Or is this still a design exercise?

My concern is that if you have cut a physical part to look like "Part 3" in your Onshape document, this will be extremely difficult to seal with a "jacket".

If you have not cut the physical part yet, we have more options to pursue.

Second question:  Have you modeled the filter to determine location and size requirements for the access hole?
  • Options
    Hi @matthew_stacy, how did you perform that? I wanna learn.

Answering your questions:
    have you cut the physical part yet?  Or is this still a design exercise?

Yes. I did. I just cut as you presented. Since I wasn't able to wait for model and print, I just came with another tube and put as a jacket with a lot of silicone and screws. I don't have much pressure, so it works more or less.

I share your concern. I was expecting to thick some regions to receive the second jacket window, but I'm still open to suggestions.

About the filter, I took a acrylic piece, cut at the pipe size and some small holes. The idea (sorry, not sure how this is called in english) is a mirror filter, when you put it 45def of water flow.

Just a circle with 75mm OD that should be place 45deg inside the tube forcing leafs to keep going.

A picture shows better.

I was considering make it bigger to clear stuck material and pull out as well.

• Options
    Hi @thales_maia, apologies if I am misunderstanding your intent but take a look at this:

Here is a link to the document.  I reverted to a few surface modeling tricks (split face, move face, loft surface boundaries, ...) but there are probably more elegant solutions.  There is an o-ring groove in the cover plate (not visible in this screenshot image).  Sketching on mate connectors (rather than planes) proved useful.

Note that the image in my previous reply was all geometry that you created (Part 3).  That was all you!
  • Options
    Thanks @matthew_stacy, part3 has problems that I can't solve. I realized after you share your document.

I have some problem putting the window It at the back, but I think I can figure it out. Thank you.

However, I still have to problem of the first jacket.

First I have to put a jacket for the tube. I made this 3d printed to see if it fits. That is ok and it fits nice. No problem.
    However, in order to avoid leaking, I want to add some groove to fill with silicon. Like a barrier all over the border.
    After that, I also wanna add some screw points to attach it to the pipe.

Maybe my concept is wrong, but I have no clues.
  • Options
    @thales_maia is this what you are looking to do? If not, do you have a napkin sketch of what you are trying to do? 

• Options
    Hi @John_P_Desilets, yes! Can you show how you did it?
  • Options
    @thales_maia Absolutely. I'm sure there is a more efficient way to do this but here is my approach. Let us know how you make out! It would be great to see the final 3D print.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/44f5412eb62e2bf6d9d6e72b/w/56256e66796b85e1f881115b/e/290793980c423cb818ee07f4