Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can I draw a line in the sketch during in-context part creation to a point in the ghosted assembly?

RChilcoatRChilcoat Member Posts: 12
Finally getting into in-context editing.  Works well as long as what I'm sketching includes points within the purple sketch plane graphic, but if I want to draw a line from the sketch plane to somewhere else that is co-planer with the sketch plane but is in the ghosted part, I can't.  Can I refer to points (for example corners of parts) that are in the ghosted assembly?  Thanks.  Still learning.  

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    If I understand correctly, it sounds like you need to use the "use" tool within the sketch. This will allow you to select points and edges for other parts and add them to your sketch so that you can reference them. You can also turn these referenced edges/points into construction geometry if needed. 
  • Options
    Can't seem to find the "Use" tool in the sketch, but I have to deal with a bigger problems right now.  My complete Assembly just disappeared even though the ghosted ones are still in all the Part Studios.  Can't seem to recover it.  I've got to take a break anyway.  Has anyone else had the Assembly suddenly disappear from the file?
  • Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Here's the help page for the "use" tool.  Use (onshape.com)

If you need to, you can always restore a document to a past point in time, as well: Document Management (onshape.com)
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your help.  Things are now going much better with your help.  This is a great CAD system, but even though I was fluent in two other programs of similar complexity and power, I've had some trouble finding my way.  Having these forums have been essential for just clearing up a few problems.  Thank you again.