Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Options to 'extend' a sheet metal part

tracy_flemingtracy_fleming Member Posts: 4 EDU
edited May 2021 in Community Support
Forgive me here as I'm fairly new to Sheet Metal in Onshape. I also haven't used the forum before. Am I correct in just linking to the document that I have a question about below?
So we make devices from 14.6mm thick triple-wall industrial cardboard and I'm trying to bring our designs into Onshape so that we can get flat patterns. 

I'm wondering what my options are for trying to 'extend' a sheet metal part The part was created as a 'Convert from Solid Object' operation. Neither an Add Extrude nor a Boolean, nor trying to add a flange allows me to extend the edge.

The errors reported are:
> For Extrude (Add): "Only Remove can be used with Sheet Metal"
> When I try to Boolean the added part to the Sheet Metal part: "Boolean 1 did not generate properly. Active sheet metal models are not allowed."

Link to document: Tangible Cues Base

I could generate the resulting object using standard sketch/extrude techniques but then I wouldn't get the Sheet Metal Table and Flat View to export as a DXF.
Thanks for any help and I apologize in advance for this clunky forum post. 
Tracy
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers