Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Wheel Rim Exercise Spoke Fillet?

sam_straitsam_strait Member Posts: 4
I'm working my way through the tutorial exercises and can't get the mass to match the solution on the Wheel Rim exercise. I noticed that my spoke fillet is confined to the faces of the spoke. In the example every edge of the spoke is filleted. I can perform another fillet to capture the missing edges, but I'm wondering why my face fillet doesn't propagate to the interior edges like the example.

Versioned linke here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d52070985812d94623d42381/v/4fa1196804dde6ba4b9ec5f9/e/99034e821afbe849b34cbe8e

Answers

• jamescbonneyjamescbonney Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Hi Sam, I ran into the same issue with this exercise. I don't have an answer for you though. I manually selected the additional edges as you suggested to find the mass.

Also, I have found the mass values of my models have varied slightly from the solutions of a few exercises. In those cases I have chosen the nearest answer and found it to be successful. I don't know why this is the case. 

The Mass I found for the wheel is: 36.52220205 kg
  • matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @sam_strait, I have not done the wheel rim tutorial.  But does selecting all six faces of the spoke achieve the intended effect (and mass result) that you are looking for?

You appear to have only selected 2 of 6 faces on the spoke.
  • sam_straitsam_strait Member Posts: 4
    @jamescbonney I get 36.542kg for the mass w/o the additional fillets and 36.544g (!) w/the additional fillets added manually so something is screwed up. The solution lists 36.521kg. This is the 

@matthew_stacy selecting all six faces of the spoke will (kinda) achieve the desired result, but will add 2 extra fillets that are not shown in the example (along the vertical seam where the two mirrored halves of the spoke meet).