Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Exploded View Creation Workflow

S_RegulaS_Regula Member Posts: 88 PRO
I'm wondering what kind of workflows are used by other OS users for handling exploded views in assemblies. We create assemblies and the accompanying exploded view(s) to use on drawings. However, since our products are mostly in the development stage, there are constant changes happening to the assemblies, mainly parts being added/removed. When this happens, it is quite the task to update the exploded view(s), especially when a part is removed and each explode step that included the now removed part turns red, indicating a missing entity. To fix the "faulty" exploded steps, I have to edit each step and remove the missing parts/add the new parts. When there are 20+ steps that indicate errors, this becomes quite time-consuming. I have not discovered a workflow to make this often cumbersome task more efficient. Any feedback is appreciated. TIA...

Comments

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 807 PRO
    I'm thinking of two ways. One way would be for Onshape to develop an advanced AI that's able to read your mind through your webcam and just automatically recreate the explode views based on what your thinking.  😉. Another way would be, don't bother with explodes untill the design it done? I usually find explodes only useful for drawings and drawings only useful when the design is done. I do know what you mean by explodes being annoying when changes do have to be made after the fact though. It would nice if explode steps were like SolidWorks where you could dig into the step and see what's inside without having to activate each one.