Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

shell with different thickness for different faces

UlrichHanischUlrichHanisch Member Posts: 11
edited June 2021 in Community Support
is this still not possible in shell feature? i've found some post from 2016 or so, but i thought, this feature option is an absolute minimum for all major CAD ...

Answers

• Options
    brooke_spreenbrooke_spreen Member, Developers Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    Do you have an example application?
    Design Engineer | Anerdgy AG
  • Options
    Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    is this still not possible in shell feature? i've found some post from 2016 or so, but i thought, this feature option is an absolute minimum for all major CAD ...
    This is not possible yet. But I use the Move face feature as a workaround. That's a way to vary the shell thickness per surface.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)
  • Options
    UlrichHanischUlrichHanisch Member Posts: 11
    Hi Brooke, Hi Henk,

as you can see in https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e395667907981aa9f75b5072/w/6aa7bd99473017f95b30ec83/e/65d82cd04ce3d05e361c0f64
    there are lots of extra steps to work around this Iimitation. Please roll behind „Wandung1“ and unsuppress „Wandung1“. Initially, I want to create a shell with 1mm for all global faces, but 25,5mm for all faces at the backside. This would allow to cut the resulting body by half and directly mirror the resulting body instead of adding all the extra steps. Just as an example …
  • Options
    Henk_de_VlaamHenk_de_Vlaam Member, Developers Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Hi @UlrichHanisch,

I editted your part and halved the number of features (18>9).

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/88598b1de190d61c07ddff57/w/70063ee801e69cf8664950f4/e/a9c6cac466b722fd05cacac2

By the way, I added Move face 1 to make the rib 1 mm thick as well. So the number of features is therefore 10.
    I made the changes in Branch B1 so that you can compare workspace Main and B1 and see that there are no differences, exept the rib thickness.

A remark about mirroring: when you add a mirror then Boolesch 2 is not necessary afterwards.
    Henk de Vlaam (NL)