Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Weldments

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 801 PRO
Anticipating onshapes fully integrated answer to weldments. Anyone hear any rumors on the progress of this ability?

Comments

• Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    @shawn_crocker, you've seen Niel Cooke's "Beam" feature script?

It does not generate cut lists nor does Onshape offer 3d sketching, but it is a really handy tool.
  • Options
    jake_delano19jake_delano19 Member, csevp Posts: 19 PRO
    Hello @shawn_crocker , I would like to make some slight clarifications to the comment from Matthew. Neil Cooke did create a great Beams FeatureScript tool that can be found here, and it does generate a cut list. The cut list can be found as a custom table in the Custom Tables tab on the right side of your screen, however it cannot be placed into a drawing at this time.

During the Sneak Peek portion of our Onshape Live conference back in March, we showed off the planned functionality for the Weldments tool which will be added to Onshape in the future that will include the ability to add a cut list to a drawing. Check out this page to see what was announced for the tool and a few others to be coming soon, if you scroll down to the video link at the bottom it will take you to the link for the entire Onshape Live sneak peek presentation that you can sign up and watch on demand for free, the weldments section starts around 2:40 in.
  • Options
    @jake_delano
    Thanks.  The sneak peak was what I was looking for.  I new there was plan for an integrated feature(gave feed back on it awhile ago) but I was wondering about any progress reports.  The beams feature is great though.  I customized it to hijack the length values and set them to a custom property.  This way the beam lengths are all displayed in an assembly BOM.
  • Options
    Triton_EngineeringTriton_Engineering Member Posts: 14 PRO
    Hey @shawn_crocker any chance you'd be willing to share how you added the length values to a custom property from cutlist?

Thanks!
  • Options
    CBowersCBowers Member Posts: 50 PRO
    They teased weldments and showed their working version of it in last years Onshape Live.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Hey @shawn_crocker any chance you'd be willing to share how you added the length values to a custom property from cutlist?

Thanks!
    Sorry, wasn't paying attention.  I just copied the beams feature.  Then I went into it and found the area in the code where the processing of length is done and assigned to bodies.  I added in some extra stuff to also take the calculated values and send them into a custom property.  I also added some extra stuff to the tag profile feature so that I can add in things like material and a stockno for the profile type.  That also gets added into the beams.  Post processing of the generated beams does not update the custom properties sadly so using a extrude remove that makes a beam smaller does not update the property.  I have been suspicious that I could rework how I am hijacking the values to make use of the custom table somehow.  I just found for my use, it was working good enough because I am usually creating mainly sheet metal assemblies with a few beams added in here or there.  I will share my edited beams feature with you so you can see where I created edits.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7733aafaeba6718af3da99e8/w/bc3c1fe87fecf7d173a7cafc/e/7198329e0dcf5502fb6d27d7