Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I flip the normal on a surface?

Tom_SchoenhoferTom_Schoenhofer Member Posts: 5
Creating a surface using LOFT there is no option for which side is the outside. I think it assumes the top surface is always convex? This has never been a problem before but now when exporting a surface for VR or sending to someone else the image or surface object appears backside out. 

Thanks

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    OK I found the answer. I was half way there.
    Loft the surface, it has the normal backwards.
    Then offset the surface a very small amount, I used .1mm .
    Then use DeleteFace on the outside (original surface) and check leave open.
    This leaves the flipped normal surface on the inside.
    All good now for export. 

Answers

• Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 236
    edited June 2021
     Please post a link to your document and share it as public. This way we can take a look at the geometry. Thanks! 
  • Options
    Geometry is crude. Its from a scan of the inside, with closed splines fit through the scan and the surface lofted over these curves. There is no outside, everything is inside, but the loft surface is normal outside.   https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6292431027cfd004f2f0c912/w/38e499b71c239ac04389e4fb/e/4f17d9ce985c9b1e450fba24
    If there is no way to flip the normal it's no big deal, I just thought Id ask because I couldn't find a solution.
  • Options
    I don't know if I fully understand the issue. Would it be possible to illustrate what you mean? Is there a specific loft that you are referring to? 
  • Options
    There are 5 lofts, they are created on these closed curves. I choose the curves in order and loft and the normal is to the outside. That's fine in OnShape but after export when you look at what is supposed to the surface created you are looking at the inside of the surface because the surface normal is the wrong way.  
    I figured a workaround- I select the surface and create a part with thicken that is 1mm thick. So I now have two close surfaces = normals pointing both ways and at least the correct surface is visible now.  
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    If you create a closed sketch profile you can just loft a solid instead. Or, you can enclose the surface to form a solid afterwards. I am still not 100% on what you mean by normal to the outside. Surfaces are single sided with no mass or thickness. If you found a work around that is great news! 
  • Options
    In this case it's like a tunnel. If you loft profiles, and use solid, you create a solid of the air in the tunnel, surface direction to the outside, which is not right. The normal of the surface of a tunnel is to the inside. I don't have a surface of the outside of the hull in this case and I don't need one because all the objects are on the inside. 
    I also tried offset surface where you can copy and/or offset a surface in either direction but this does not change its surface normal.

• Options
    Answer ✓
    OK I found the answer. I was half way there.
    Loft the surface, it has the normal backwards.
    Then offset the surface a very small amount, I used .1mm .
    Then use DeleteFace on the outside (original surface) and check leave open.
    This leaves the flipped normal surface on the inside.
    All good now for export.