Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

DRAWING VIEWS & HIGHLIGHTING DRAWING ELEMENTS

Luke_EdwardsLuke_Edwards Member Posts: 10 PRO
As we all know - there is still a significant amount OnShape has to do in order to improve its paper-spacing capabilities to a more professional standard - one massively important thing for me is layering and layer thicknesses. The lack on layering induces a lack of clarity and cleanliness on any drawings that are done, and ultimately makes something simple, just that 'bit' harder to read and understand.

I am gradually getting more and more frustrated with the way Onshape has tried to standardise drawing. Drawing is all about conveying information to a user and there is no simple way to 'convey' a drawing as every annotation may need altering just that little 'bit' in order to get a very important piece of information across - You cannot seem to do this in OnShape, simple things like graying out some of the structure on a particular view to provide clarity to a section, a hole or a marking or to point out a component in an assembly. 

There are other simple things like alignment of titles, you cannot create construction lines to nicely align titles. 

What else?

- Individual hatching capability - why can I not hatch a particular area of something myself? I may need to do this to denote its use, yet I cannot. 
- Change individual leader pointers. AW ISO standards hatching should be correctly notated with a 'blob' to denote not just one or two items, but instead an entire area (a hatch), yet, you cannot do that.
- Dimensions not being able to sit on 'top' of the dim line.
- Change in line-type. Why can we not change a solid line to a dashed line or a dotted line from a view?
- Hidden lines. When I chose to expose lines I want to be able to choose exactly which lines I want to expose. Right now it's either all or nothing which is horrific and presents a nightmare when trying to annotate very complex components. 
- Change colour of lines, again, you cannot do this. 
- You cannot properly draw in paper space. You can sketch but you cannot type 50mm and get a 50mm line so it's useless for designing a professional template in. 
- You cannot grey out lines to put the focus on a particular part of the view & or assembly.

These are all extremely big parts of professional draughtsmanship and it is not there.