Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Sheet metal creates skin

brendon_cusackbrendon_cusack Member Posts: 2
Hi all, I have a very basic shape that it want to create a sheet metal template out of. It only has two bends in it and is one part.

When I pick the part and click on sheet metal, it generates separate parts added to every face the original part, therefore it's not one flat piece.
I've watched countless videos and this doesn't happen to anyone on there. 

Here is the drawing

And this is what happens. You can see all the multiple parts that have appeared and my part is encased which is the size that I need it Why?

Answers

• bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of convert use the Thicken option and select the faces and then the areas you want to apply bends. Finally use the delete part command to delete the original and be left with the sheet metal part only

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 447 EDU
    Also, if you have a simpler part like the one in your example, you can use the "Extrude" tab at the top, and then there is no need to do a separate extrude surface / delete part. It goes out as sheet metal instead of a surface or a regular solid body.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev | Currently an Onshape intern: asmidchens@onshape.com