Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Concave Part replication

maxwell_dahlmaxwell_dahl Member Posts: 5
I ran into this weird issue when trying to make a concave replication of parts. It seems that the farther I get from the origin part, the more (unwanted) rotation the parts experience. I could not use a linear pattern because I wanted a concave effect. Here's how I constructed it: I used a curve pattern to make 6 versions of the original part oriented and equally spaced along this curve. Then I created 6 more curve patterns, each stemming from one of the 6 parts created in the first curve. These 6 curves each had an instance count of 4. These curves were made perpendicular to the original curve so as to make a concaved array. But when I do this, the parts lose their nice and clean spacing and become gradually staggered as you look at the bottom right corner or the array. How can I keep these parts from rotating and making a nice concaved array?

Here is a link to my document for reference: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5e880446ed4903d2f17ea4f2/w/2b4b8a8673174065f76f3ac6/e/94b7ddff181c269edc764363

Comments

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    The problem is all your guides are on the Right plane.  I think you will need to make radial sketches with center either on the 'tent curve center' or other to give you effect desired.

www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    maxwell_dahlmaxwell_dahl Member Posts: 5
    Could you share you copy with me for an example of what you're trying to say? I'm having trouble understanding.
  • Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    @maxwell_dahl
    I was on vacation for a few days; will try to get back to this in next couple days.  

for now - by 'radial sketches' I meant create planes to go through your 'tent guide' center so they radiate from that center. You are getting distortion by having all the sketches on the Right Plane.

Let me know if you still need an example.
    www.accuratepattern.com