Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Beam deflection

Steve_willitsSteve_willits Member Posts: 2 PRO
Hi,
Does Onshape have beam deflection analysis?  I am looking for something simple like calculating the maximum deflection of a steel bar, supported at both ends, with load in the middle.
Thanks,
Steve

Best Answers

• Options
    GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 104
    edited July 2021 Answer ✓
    There's nothing built in, and using a full featured simulation code (FEA) would be way overkill if (as you describe) you are only looking for simply supported/mid point loaded bars. The formula for calculating the max deflection (max d = FL^3/48EI) is simple enough, along with I (I = bh^3/12 for a rectangular solid section; other sections easily found online) - so it would be easy to set up a couple of variables as inputs (F, L, E, I, b, h) and spit out a result. 

Alternatively you could built a CustomFeature that takes a selected edge, various inputs and displays a max deflection. It would be a great learning exercise as this would be a very simple one. I had a quick bash at it: 

Edited to add my public doc: 
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0bb2acf917e0c2f890197ca7/w/34d26b4ab5b6c3e4ceeb688c/e/f94fb66fd110abfbfb51de27

I also included a part studio that does it simply with variables. Use the variable table  for the best way to view :)
  • Options
    TimRiceTimRice Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 315
    Answer ✓
    I do have this super old custom feature that used the beam equations to calculate beam deflections:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/21fa541ca92d7d95aea12b6d/v/8b31dd78d7faf7097352ce7b/e/a7050d236d39980ebd6a0bc3 
    Tim Rice | User Experience | Support 
    Onshape, Inc.

Answers