Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

WHY ARE DRAWINGS USUALLY VERY SLOW WHEN HIDDEN LINES ARE SHOWN?

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
Drawings in general I find to usually be quite slow.  If I have what I consider to be an assembly of normal complexity (maybe 25 parts or so) and one of the views is set to show hidden lines, the drawing will just come to an almost stand still.  If I have to update the drawing to reflect a change in another tab, it will often take over two minutes for the drawing to update.  I have seen it take even longer.  Why is onshape having such a hard time handling drawings and maintaining quality performance when using them?

Best Answer

• Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Answer ✓
    I would recommend reporting a bug from within the affected document & drawing, preferably right after the problem has happened. That will let the Onshape team investigate what's going on with detailed log data.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev

Answers

• Options
    I'm all alone in my experiences with this one?
  • Options
    alnisalnis Member, Developers Posts: 449 EDU
    Answer ✓
    I would recommend reporting a bug from within the affected document & drawing, preferably right after the problem has happened. That will let the Onshape team investigate what's going on with detailed log data.
    Student at University of Washington | Get in touch: contact@alnis.dev | My personal site: https://alnis.dev
  • Options
    @alnis
    Thanks. Will do. I'm feeling like it may spiral into one of those endless run arounds to avoid saying "its just like that"
  • Options
    rick_conardrick_conard Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Shawn,  I'm new to Onshape,  coming from Solidworks.    I also see that Onshape assembly drawings with lots of parts seem to be very slow / sluggish.   The spinning "busy" wheel is often on.      Solidworks also has this issue but it does not show up until you get lots more parts.   
  • Options
    @rick_conard
    Yes. I agree onshape drawings do have some more to go to match the performance and features of solid works drawings.  For me solid works was a pain when switching from one larger assembly drawing to the other and waiting for it to load it back into ram or whatever it was doing.  Once it was in focus, it is definitely hard to beat the quick responsiveness.  For some reason I keep thinking the longer term goal is to pull away from such a hugely 2d drawing centred mfg workflow. It seems possible seeing as onshape has really left the door open for setting up linked in machine station computers without having to pay for additional seats of onshape.  Having people working with 3d information is generally more intuitive and more holistically efficient for a team(I think).  I have certainly felt I have wasted what feels in the moment a shameful amount of time struggling to make a 2d drawing fully capture what a part or assembly is when a 3d model on the floor would have done the job in 5 seconds.  But tolerancing.  I feel like that is the issue.  Tolerancing.