Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Best practice for arranging parts if an assembly along an axus

What is the best practice for arranging a number of parts along an axis?

I'm trying to illustrate an assembly that includes a nut, bolt, washers and two parts each with a hole in it.

If like to constraint these all to be coaxial, and ideally, to constrain their order on that axis.

I don't seem to be able to add them all to a single slider constraint.

Is there a way to define a construction line to serve as the axis and mate to that?

Also, I seem to be having trouble identifying exactly what I want to mate to in the user interface.  I also find the descriptions in the mate connectors list of a mate to be inadequate.  Fir example, the origin appears as "mate connectors" rather than "origin".

What is the best practice for what I expect us a common construction?

Thanks.

Answers

• Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 236
    edited August 2021
    @mark_nahabedian You will need to create several slider mates to have all parts move along the same axis. 

Here is a quick example. https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bf980114dad92dc6c954117d/w/0e0f5c86cc39c52bb658bd6f/e/c875ad1b9afdabd8b02cdb13

You can also apply linear relationships to the slider mates after if the parts need to move at a specific ratio.

• Options
    @mark_nahabedian come to think of it, are you trying to make an illustration of how the hardware goes together? If so, you can always create an exploded view. 

• Options
    mark_nahabedianmark_nahabedian Member Posts: 31
    Yes thanks. An exploded view is what I'm going for.

If I fully make the parts in my assembly, is there a way to control which mates are "relaxed" when exploding?  I'd like for all of the parts to stay on axis.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Mates are temporarily disabled when creating an exploded view. However, you don't need parts mated to create an exploded view. You simply drag the parts in the direction they need to go. Please read this for more information.   Exploded Views
  • Options
    I was hoping for a way to constrain my explosion movements to be along the axis.
  • Options
    They will be on the same axis. Have you tried to make the exploded view yet?  Can you please post a link to your document and share the document as public so we can take a closer look?

If you mated two parts together and they are concentric, once you make the exploded view they will remain concentric unless you move from side to side or rotate the part. 

• Options

I've not tried exploded view yet.  I'm still putting the assembly together (my third attempt).

Here's the link:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f48e803da02ee71496c21d22/w/a8f24e76c9466e030d59ab2f/e/02f35201c256c3eb657809db

The relevant assembly is "try again".  The others are previous and partial attempts.  That assembly is missing the nut and the four wedges.  How the wedges fit can be seen in the "strut and wedges" assembly.

It's intended as a strong joint between the leg and cross beam of a portable bench for hand woodworking.  I made one joint for real and it's really rigid.  The idea is that the two struts form a tight joint as they're drawn together by the mut and bolt.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    It think it will become clear when you create the exploded view. I made a quick example from the document you shared. Everything is staying on the same axis. Is this what you are looking to do?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/66d2613d7744f40927caad8d/w/755bb53d3d76630b88032af2/e/6696ac65f69766a1b2da36a4

• Options
    Excellent.

Thanks much for all your help.