Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating holes

joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
I am building a pan-tilt device.  I need to fasten the "tilt" stepper motor to the "pan" motor.  I am showing the screen shot.  I did an in-context drawing, where I placed a sketch at the bottom of the motor mount, projected the points from the aluminum hub up to it, and then placed four holes for 4-40 bolts.

If you look at the hub, there is an aluminum hub about 5mm thick which has four 4-40 holes in it.  However, to get enough depth that I can counterbore the 4-40 bolts, I added another layer, 4mm thick, of plastic above it.  Otherwise, the counterbore is a through-hole on the motor mount.  The holes need to project down through this 4mm add-on and end at the bottom of it.  What I did was project them down into the aluminum hub, which doesn't seem like the right thing to do.

First problem: when I select "through", I get four holes that project well below the bottom of the pan box.  And there is no "to face" option that would let me create the holes through just the 4mm spacer.  I don't want to "wire in" the depth of the hole in case I have to change any of the thicknesses; I just want it to go from the surface of the upper motor mount to the bottom of the plastic spacer. 

Second problem: I can't select any of the parts as the "merge scope" because they are all dimmed out.  I am left in a confused state that the documentation has not cleared up, and all kinds of Web searches have produced answers that assume I can select a part.

This is my first serious drawing using OnShape, so I am very much a beginner in this.  I try to apply solutions I would have used in Autodesk Inventor, which I used for about eight years, and they don't seem to work.  Obviously, I am having some problems with paradigm shifting; that grinding sound is paradigm shifting without a clutch (Thank you, Dogbert).

The next thing I would like to do is extrude that plastic spacer  up through the motor mount above it, so I don't have an odd-looking gap where the curve of the motor mount doesn't quite meet the spacer.  I want it to print as a single unitary object (with some fillets added, not there yet).  Yet I cannot figure out how to get this done.

I also want to add a semicircular hole in one side of the base for the wires to the pan motor to come out.  I have not had any success in doing this.  Again, the techniques I knew don't work, but I don't know what the "new" techniques are that I have to learn.

Don't worry about the floating bolts you see; I hid the tilt mechanism and the tilt motor and its hub so I could see the bottom of the motor mount.

Fillets get added when I am done with the basic drawing, so there are not yet any fillets except on the bottom plate.

Note that what is confusing is that the bolt holes are shown, and they are shown in the right place, but I don't understand why they can't be made.  They are shown precisely where I want them.  And I can't select any of the dimmed-out parts as the merge scope.

This is what "through" selects, although I have no idea how it arrived at this length.  

Comments

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    @joseph_newcomer
    It looks like when you created the in-context you made a new parts studio, what you need to do is edit in-context the part that you want the holes in.  
  • Options
    joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    I am struggling with the paradigm shift.  The only thing I've found is the icon for "create part studio in context".  I have not discovered how to edit a part in-context.  Can you point me to what I need to read to get this?
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    @joseph_newcomer
    Select your part (either from the graphics area or the list doesn't matter) then right-click and look for edit in-context in the menu that appears.