Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Will onshape ever change the syntax of what appears in the browser url when doing a search?

shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
I'm setting up another data system, I have noted with glee that when performing a search using released state filters, the only thing in the browsers url that changes is the text that is actually be search for.  I am so happy I can create a formula to generate a link that will automatically allow a user of another system to launch into a product and see what is available to view for a particular product.  What is great, is that anytime someone using the other system adds a new item, The link is automatically generated and ready to be used as soon as the part number is released in onshape.  It also sort of guides people to automatically be seeing the released data.  My worry is, that maybe, without notice, onshape could decide that the syntax appearing in the browser needs an extra character or something else about it needs to change.  This would cause my other system to fail.  Does anyone at onshape think there is a chance of an unnotified change to the system in this way?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    BulletEngineeringBulletEngineering Member Posts: 24 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I have been taking advantage of that exact 'feature' to let the guys on the shop floor find drawings more quickly. They have a spreadsheet with a formula that generates the search URL dynamically based on a part number field. This way they don't have to manually apply all the filters in the advanced search needed to narrow down the results to the one released version of a drawing or model. FWIW I've been using the same formula since 2018 and it hasn't broken yet  :)

Answers

• Options
    BulletEngineeringBulletEngineering Member Posts: 24 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I have been taking advantage of that exact 'feature' to let the guys on the shop floor find drawings more quickly. They have a spreadsheet with a formula that generates the search URL dynamically based on a part number field. This way they don't have to manually apply all the filters in the advanced search needed to narrow down the results to the one released version of a drawing or model. FWIW I've been using the same formula since 2018 and it hasn't broken yet  :)
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
    @BulletEngineering
    Good to hear.  I guess it wouldn't be terrible to have to update the sheet formulas.  I'm trying to possible implement a bit of a custom ERP and this search link will be included in the system.