Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Circular References

nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 659 PRO
I'm 9 months into Onshape and deep into a commercial product design, with multiple subassys, hundreds of components, derives, in-context editing, etc. On a few assy's, when I update, they update forever. I've sat and updated my top level assy for example 20 times in a row in a few minutes time. It never stops to find a new update. I'm thinking I must have circular references. I was under the impression during the OS online training that you can't form them in this software. I must be remembering the training incorrectly. Anyway, do you guys run into this? Where the update just keeps finding new updates and you are literally going in a circle? What do you do about it? I searched the forums for circular references and didn't find any hits. I was going to send this to the helpdesk, but thought I'd hear from the broader community your experiences. Thanks.

Comments

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    The only way I've found to form circular references is with in-context modeling, but Onshape doesn't make those update live (only when you tell it to), which prevents them from becoming infinitely recursive and locking up the system. Here's a gif of what that looks like, and here's the example document. Do you think that's what's going on?

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl