Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

DWT Importing & Text Issues.

Hello all - I have a situation that I need to try and address. I have designed a custom template for OnShape using AutoCAD.

I have created a 'custom template' - Imported the AutoCAD dwg into the template and exported with all the properties. Why is it that even though I have set the properties, (when re-imported) they are changing? My layer colours seem the same but the text that forms around the template is all messed up and not even the same font. 

I can't set any default templates because of this.

Answers

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
    I feel it may have something to do with how you are either importing the .dwg initially or how you are exporting the .dwt.  I believe there are some setting that read something like export(import) text as text or export(import) text as curves.  Something like that.  Maybe trying using the text as curves will lock in the font.  I'm not totally sure however because my templates just worked the first time and have not had to pay much attention to it.  You can design you template right in onshape and avoid the importing thing though.  I have done some where I exported a drawing as .dwg and then opened it up into a part studio for more precise editing in a sketch.
  • Options
    Luke_EdwardsLuke_Edwards Member Posts: 10 PRO
    @shawn_crocker

Thanks for your response. 

There isn't any other way of exporting or re-importing this type of file as far as I am aware.

As for the creating a template in OnShape.... Certainly not. OnShape expect you to purchase an additional tool just to edit a DWG which is ridiculous and from what I have seen it is not even close to AutoCAD when it comes to editing. 

I have got to the point now where I am exporting everything out of OnShape and using AutoCAD to paper space my drawings. 
  • Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 804 PRO
    I make my templates close to my needs while in the drawing and then export to .dwg.  Then I import into a part studio if I need to add more geometry that needs to be precisely place.  then I export the sketch again as a .dwg and import it back into the drawing and then assign things onto the borders layer and what not.  Then I export that as my .dwt.  However, I don't have a need to stray too far away from the standard templates.  I only need to mod them slightly.