Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mate a face or line to a focal point

james_howard360james_howard360 Member Posts: 28 PRO
I'm trying to model a camera that is always pointed at a focal point regardless of camera location. This was super easy in Solidworks, just mate an axis in the camera to the focal point in the assembly. I've tried every mate type in OnShape and no joy. Any idea how this can be done?

Comments

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited September 2021
    This might not be ideal, because you end up with an extra part in your assembly. You can make it transparent and really small, and even hide it, but it'll still be there. Here's the basic run down:

1) make a small part in addition to your camera
    2) use a ball mate to connect the small part to your focal point (in my example, its the origin).
    3) use a cylindrical mate to connect the camera to small part.

You can check out my example here:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/505e3e366881a7854a2191de/w/fde742db20aedd854e57576b/e/9dfea2692a8b4bfffb23721a

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 237
    edited September 2021
  • Options
    james_howard360james_howard360 Member Posts: 28 PRO
    Both of these solutions almost get there. Both require the distance between the objects to be static, however, and I need the distance to vary. @John_P_Desilets yours gave me the clue: I added a single sketch with a construction circle and used three mates like so: circle [ball mate] focal point, circle [parallel] face of camera, circle [cylindrical mate] camera lens axis. It's a bit slow to solve but otherwise works great. Thanks for the layup.

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    Interesting that you couldn't get either of them to work with varying distances.. On my end I can move the camera anywhere. I wonder if it had something to do with the way mates are prioritized when you're freely moving stuff around an assembly.

But I'm glad you got what you needed! I haven't done a lot with Assemblies, so I don't think I had ever used construction geometry within an assembly. So thank you @John_P_Desilets and @james_howard360 for showing me that!