Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Unable to add dimension

when adding a dimension to circle I encountered an error. the circle is on an created plane.

the error: Could not project the selected entities into the current sketch. 

Best Answers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I think, at some point, when you're placing the dimension, Onshape thinks you're trying to reference a line, point, or edge outside of the sketch. This is probably happening after you've selected the circle and are just trying to "place" the dimension. 

Try clicking once on the circle, and then moving the cursor way far out into space (so that there are no places, sketches, or bodies behind it), then clicking again to place the dimension. 

It may be related to the discussion in this thread: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/16753/dimension-tool-ignore-background-features-on-second-click#latest
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    Answer ✓
    There was some recent change where Onshape (erroneously) thinks you are trying to select a second reference for the dimension. This has been bugging me for a few releases now. I don't remember when it started, but it's annoying, for sure.

Answers

• Options
    tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I think, at some point, when you're placing the dimension, Onshape thinks you're trying to reference a line, point, or edge outside of the sketch. This is probably happening after you've selected the circle and are just trying to "place" the dimension. 

Try clicking once on the circle, and then moving the cursor way far out into space (so that there are no places, sketches, or bodies behind it), then clicking again to place the dimension. 

It may be related to the discussion in this thread: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/16753/dimension-tool-ignore-background-features-on-second-click#latest
  • Options
    michael_van_endemichael_van_ende Member Posts: 5
    "Try clicking once on the circle, and then moving the cursor way far out into space (so that there are no places, sketches, or bodies behind it), then clicking again to place the dimension. "

This actually worked :smiley: Thank you!! 
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    Answer ✓
    There was some recent change where Onshape (erroneously) thinks you are trying to select a second reference for the dimension. This has been bugging me for a few releases now. I don't remember when it started, but it's annoying, for sure.
  • Options
    3Dzyner3Dzyner Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    This is a new behavior, and it's a BUG. Methods that previously worked for dimensioning are now BROKEN. Please fix this. I have had to resort to dimensioning by clicking on end points of entities, rather than, say, selecting a simple line. Sometimes there's literally no workaround. If there's some new trick we're supposed to use, please educate us with a better error message. Perhaps this is related to being able to use coincident points in other sketches, which is a really nice feature, but it has broken dimensioning in the current sketch if it thinks the reference point is in the other sketch.