Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

break dependency or contraint from a projected sketch

I created a notch in part 1 and transferred the geometry as a sketch onto part 2 with use/project. That worked great, but I would like to make the male portion slightly smaller in height. I find that changing the dimension of the sketch on Part 2 breaks things since my sketch is driven by the notch on part 1. What can I do to make this change. I'm new at this and I'm doing pretty well, but when I get lost, I get really lost! Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,735 PRO
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    While sketching, you can use the Offset sketch feature to offset lines from the original projection.
    Alternatively, you could leave parts touching with 0 tolerance, then add the clearance gap afterwards with the Boolean subtract feature.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    Jake_DelanoJake_Delano Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 41
    If I am understanding your question correctly, it seems like you want the geometry of the male portion to reflect the female portion, but not contact the female portion directly. If that is the case, you can use the Offset feature to offset the desired geometry from part 1 for your sketch for part 2.

You can also use the Use command and then change the lines to construction lines so that you're able to reference the female part but you aren't making the two sketches directly in contact with one another.