Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

3 planes, 3 sketches, 1 shape...help?

Hey guys. Very new here. Sorry if people have answered a question like this before I've looked but found nothing that helped me!
I want to model an airplane. I have a three view drawing which was traced into a sketch.
How do I make a shape conforming to these sketches since they're on different planes? I can't seem to make the Use tool work or the Splines. Extrude can't handle all three planes at once and if I only extrude one side of one sketch I can't move the points to fix the shape.
I am just having a very hard time getting the program to do what I want at all. The 'best' option is to fill in the space I've already made, but if I have to build it from the ground up I can... not that I know how. If somebody could tell me a good procedure for going about this I would be very grateful!!
Pictures: the three sketches I have. I know it's hard to interpret what's going on so there's also a picture of the original 3 view. Right now all I'm trying to do the is the fuselage/body. Also shown are my attempts at selectively extruding/cutting the sketches. Lastly, my first attempt, which is considerably more of a shape, but doesn't have the dimensions I want and I can't figure out how to manipulate it correctly.

Answers

• Options
    bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    Hi @ella_eleven
    Welcome to Onshape and the Forum.  You are jumping in the deep end for an early design and have a good start in laying out the views in position. Make sure to go through the tutorials at  https://learn.onshape.com/ as they are excellent.  You will also find the help files very good.

A couple of tips to get further - look at commands 'Projected curves' and 'Loft'.  A model design like the plane will use surface and solids, so things like 'Enclose' 'Fill' 'Ruled Surface' and the various 'Curve' creation tools. 
    www.accuratepattern.com
  • Options
    ella_elevenella_eleven Member Posts: 4
    That's fair... it's just that this is what I got into 3d modeling for, so duh I wanted to do it first. I'll work up to it.
    I figured out Loft with this guy, at least. as soon as i have more free time I'll do those other ones!
    thank you for the help!