Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Create wicker basket

nocry3nocry3 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
I am trying to create a wicker basket as described in this YouTube tutorial (at 7:21) in onshape.

This is how far I got (Onshape Document)

but how can I now map the spiral to the wavy surface like in this picture

Comments

• John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 233
    @nocry3 This is my attempt. Sweep surface. Split face. Composite curve. Sweep solid. 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/04a4f90a45ccef940224485d/w/9459af5440adebb6cc4915a5/e/0c776a774e6d5e7ae8d6eeaf

• nocry3nocry3 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    @John_P_Desilets Thank you! With your help, I got it done (Document). Only thing I don't understand is that onshape is so slow and often calculates 2-3 minutes for small changes. In Fusion it's much faster

• S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,321 PRO
    If each piece of “wicker” in the model was a separate part, it might regenerate much faster. All the intersections between the parts take a lot of time to calculate. If you need them to be one part at the end to 3D print or something, you could always add a Boolean-add at the end (normally suppressed for editing).
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    @S1mon is right that booleans are heavy features. If it is for printing you don't have to boolean it at all. Just export it as one stl and it should slice and print as one part, even if it's actually a bunch of separate parts.

It looks like it has a ~5 second rebuild time, so I'm not sure what's making it take minutes over there. Was that before you suppressed the "Union All" feature?

At 4.29 seconds, the wicker sweep is the most intensive feature by a lot. I had a suspicion the part that's toughest to calculate is where all of the various surface patches stitch together. To get around that, I replaced the Composite Curve, which is still made of tons of segments, with a Fit Spline, which is a single clean curve. That got the sweep down to 590ms and the total time to ~2 seconds. Check it out here. Before and after images below (note the edges on the wicker are gone in the second one)ow

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl