Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Half pipe

don3schdon3sch Member Posts: 9
Hello, I was able to make a multi-plane pipe route like: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/87f2e2e15b2746ffa4a2fd9a/w/23826dee1d95463390d39d58 but all attempts to make it a half pipe, such as for a marble track, the bottom half twists around so that the marble would fall out of the track.  Is there a way to make a half-pipe like my example pipe so the bottom stays horizontal and level?

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    In theory, if you sweep a sketch containing a horizontal line along a curve representing the centreline of your pipe, you should end up with a surface you can use to split the pipe in the way you seek.
    However twist controls for sweeps are currently not implemented, nor are 3D curves, so a satisfactory result is not guaranteed by this method at the present state of the art.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @don_schaefer697
    One possible but rather laborious workaround would be to distribute planes at regular intervals along the edge you are using as a path, for the portion which is currently problematic (the "downhill" part)
    Those planes would lie normal through the edge at a point on that edge.
    You could then sketch loft profiles, similar to your sweep profile, and the horizontal constraints would be correctly respected in that context.
    So, basically, substitute a lofted cut for a swept one (a sweep is really a way of automating a loft, so really you're just doing some hand-holding, to help the application see things your way)
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    If I was doing this I would probably leave the locations of the points defining the planes parametrically defined. I would start with relatively few planes for the downhill portion, and relocate them once the loft was working. so that inspection revealed them to be optimally situated with respect to the "trouble spots". The fewer planes the better, for smooth results, so possibly worth trying only three to start with

• Options
    viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @don_schaefer697 , I triad on your part and achieved below profile as shown in below image.Kindly refer below link for half pipe
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/05b3eeb2618a41df9326a3c0/w/74dacb73e3bb413a92809550/e/517eac09d9a14edf955a8773 link.

• Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ don_schaefer697, As per your requirement i tried to get half pipe at bottom horizontal as below,

You can find the model from below link
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f0c398965b90493a98544a2f/w/fbe0c93e85944ab78cd3685f/e/90fc8061d724443f98848eef

1.PNG 38.1K
    2.PNG 43.5K
    4.PNG 52.6K
    3.PNG 64.1K
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses and examples.  It looks like I'll be losing my marbles for now.  One example looks really close though, but the high speed bend in the second corner will still let the marble out of the track.  I suppose I can leave that bend a closed tube to insure the marble doesn't jump out of the track.   I just now thought of that.  The real track will have tighter curves in it.
  • Options
    @don_schaefer697 

It just occurred to me that a variation on a method I posted in a model for a barrel cam could be used to provide a horizontal parting surface for a ball track

refer the current thread entitled "Powerful workarounds"
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll study these pro tips to see if I can make one of them do what I'm trying.  Either way, there are at least two other routes I can go to skip over not being able to make a horizontally level half pipe on a multi-plane slope.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    @don_schaefer697
    The method is perhaps illustrated most simply in this model:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/73ba229cd7204ed4a803e0c3/w/652f1d601aa54b39b177c521/e/8a9e9ff8fbf6492686d07050

in Part Studio 2 -- Don't pay any attention to the derived part which begins it: the subsequent model does not rely on it, it was just a convenient armature. The point is that the surface is lofted through lines which are
    a) Horizontal, and
    b) Normal to the local path (which in your less regular case, is easily arranged by choosing a point at the beginning or end of an arc, and the arc, and asking for a "Curve Point" plane)