Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating the 'spiked' parts on a bubble wand- Follow up

gemma_jonesgemma_jones Member Posts: 7 EDU
I had to change the head of the bubble wand from a circle to a ellipse. I tried to do the spiked using the curved pattern, and it works, except it make the spikes a separate part, so it ends up have 73 seperate parts. The boolean doesn't work so i cant make them 1 part using the option.
How can i make all those spikes into 1 part?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/aef93fb575b88c6c2821e1d4/w/c3218286d0a8749cffdd1ec8/e/bb426a94b46f285c41745c05?renderMode=0&uiState=616e21d1f440a07e9e1ec2ec

Best Answers

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Unfortunately, I think maybe you forgot to make the document public. Which just means it's tricky to pinpoint exactly what issue you're running into.

But! Here's one way to do it:

1) In the original extrude, make sure "New" is selected, so that it makes a separate part that is easy to pattern. I oversized the triangle to stick back into the part so that the curvature wouldn't cause any problems if somewhere a triangle needed to be a little bigger to connect.

2) Then in the curve pattern, select "Add" so that your whole pattern gets added to the part.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    Answer ✓
    It's hard to tell exactly what's going on because you didn't share this in a way so I can copy it.

My guess is that the sketch might want to overlap the ellipse slightly, but it may just be the "New" vs "Add" selections are done incorrectly.

Also looking at your model tree, most of it could be replaced with one sketch and revolve. It would be easier to edit and regenerate faster. Essentially a sketch which looks like the section below can be revolved around a centerline which is on the right edge.

Answers

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Unfortunately, I think maybe you forgot to make the document public. Which just means it's tricky to pinpoint exactly what issue you're running into.

But! Here's one way to do it:

1) In the original extrude, make sure "New" is selected, so that it makes a separate part that is easy to pattern. I oversized the triangle to stick back into the part so that the curvature wouldn't cause any problems if somewhere a triangle needed to be a little bigger to connect.

2) Then in the curve pattern, select "Add" so that your whole pattern gets added to the part.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    gemma_jonesgemma_jones Member Posts: 7 EDU
    Thanks. It worked. I thought i already tried that but i guess not. One last thing, The spikes didnt become all seperate parts, but they didnt join to the original part. Any ideas as too why?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/aef93fb575b88c6c2821e1d4/w/c3218286d0a8749cffdd1ec8/e/bb426a94b46f285c41745c05?renderMode=0&uiState=616f41ed682f0f4963c59e9f

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,359 PRO
    Answer ✓
    It's hard to tell exactly what's going on because you didn't share this in a way so I can copy it.

My guess is that the sketch might want to overlap the ellipse slightly, but it may just be the "New" vs "Add" selections are done incorrectly.

Also looking at your model tree, most of it could be replaced with one sketch and revolve. It would be easier to edit and regenerate faster. Essentially a sketch which looks like the section below can be revolved around a centerline which is on the right edge.