Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to convert image into part of a sketch?

mark_tsaimark_tsai Member Posts: 2
I'm planning on laser cutting a case as a birthday gift for my friend. However, I have problem converting an image into part of a sketch. Is there some more faster method to do it aside from drawing the entire image again with tools from the toolbar? 

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/446fe15f3c2cd34a6b9820a7/w/2e3b571e01cbf1eac9f16caf/e/2e1985247740d68cc5daac8c 
this is the link of the document I'm working on

Thanks in advance. 

Answers

• SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited October 2021
    I think Inkscape has the ability to automatically trace bitmaps. If you're trying to do it within onshape, you're going to have to trace it by hand. For which, I would still recommend using Inkscape or the like first, then bringing in the vector drawing to use in a sketch. Only because I like graphic design software for tracing. 

Here's a related discussion.
  • david_urufudavid_urufu Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I know this is an old thread, but i was in the same situation and trying to make a sketch just using splines, dots, rectangles, lines etc. is very, very unacurate and tedious way how to do this. Use some online picture-to-dxf converter (like https://convertio.co/jpg-dxf/) and You're done in a few seconds - the quality of converted file depends on the quality of the picture. Then import the .dxf file into the sketch.