Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Part placement accuracy

Hi All

When I'm placing parts I aim my pointer to the nearest part where I would like to place it à la SW, but the part gets nowhere close to where I want it.

I then have to view on the planes and move them into place, usually using 2 plane views.

Am I doing it incorrectly?
Tagged:

Answers

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @trenton_carr , You are in right direction. After insertion of part in assembly, parts takes time to come near to user pointer. You have to wait for moment till part have to come to your pointer position as shown in below attached video.

• trenton_carrtrenton_carr Member Posts: 18
    I do this but get nowhere near where it is supposed to be.

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @trenton_carr , I think you have clicked in model space prior to parts coming to your pointer position.
    If you are created all parts in one part studio as skeleton modelling approach then at the time of insertion of click on bunch of parts (Like double carden shaft and part studio 1 ) as shown in below image and follow step as shown in below video.

• peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    @trenton_carr
    I think as @viru mentions , a good approach is to model parts together in one parts studio. Then bring them in all together into the assembly drawing. Indeed if you have designed them in the parts studio in relationship with one another then once you bring them in simply use a group command to maintain these as a group.
    Hi @peter_hall

I have multiple part studios and I cannot combine them together yet as some parts are imported from SW.

I found a way that seems to work. I click on the part I want the new part next to, and then insert. Seems to work better, couple of cm off instead of 300mm off.
  • philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    @trenton_carr - you CAN combine parts from multiple parts studios into a single part studio by using 'derive'. Once in the same part studio, you can use transform to orient/position. This is very similar to the 'insert part' workflow in a SolidWorks part file.
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
    Thank you @philip_thomas I'll give that a bash.