Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Derived Parts, Sketches? (part studio)

When I derive (import) parts into a part studio file I can access and import the sketches associated with the part (from the imported part file). I then use those sketches to transform and mate the parts into my part file assembly. The issue is the sketches do not 'follow' the part, and instead remain fixed to their original derived position. Is their anyway to either 'lock' the sketches to the part file, or at least transform the sketches and mate them to the part? Instead I have to redraw the sketches onto the derived plane, a redundant operation...

1. Derived part after transform (the sketch remains fixed while the part is transformed through a mate connection). 

2. Redrawn (redundant) sketch associated with derived part.

Comments

• Options
    alexander_collieralexander_collier Member Posts: 4
    So I guess the conclusion is that between part studios, when deriving parts sketches are only used to orient the parts to their new position? As in sketches are not meant to be shared between different part files?