Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

this is weird, but -- anamorphic / forced perspective ?

I've been designing a little anamorphic diorama with forced one-point perspective. It looks like this.

Building all these skewed & raked solids is really time consuming. I have to build a lot of three-point planes, do a lot of sweeps, plus a lot of remove-extrudes to chop off extra bits. Is there some better way to project a shape back to the vanishing point so that it behaves like an object viewed in perspective? 

So far I have not succeeded in building any forced-perspective solids containing curved surfaces. 

I know this isn't what people usually use CAD for. If anyone has ever done this before, I'd love to hear about it!
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    SethFSethF Member Posts: 129 PRO
    edited October 2021
    I don't have a lot helpful to say, but this is so cool. I feel like there would be a way to just model the room normally, then transform it using featurescript to have the forced one-point perspective. But I'm not very experienced with featurescript, so I don't know how right away. For a straight surfaced object, you just need each edge with depth to be redirected to the vanishing point, and shortened, right?

One thing I thought to do even without turning to featurescript: I think you could come up with a function to determine how much a fillet should change from front to back.

You just take the distance to the vanishing point from the back vertex of the edge (x1), and divide it by the distance to the vanishing point from the front vertex (x2). That gives you the ratio of the back fillet to the front fillet.
  • Options
    I've got a bunch of variables I don't need, and I'm still wrapping my head around some of it, but hopefully this can demonstrate what I mean.
  • Options
    luke_jaeger100luke_jaeger100 Member Posts: 30 EDU
    Cool!!! can you give me edit access so I can see what's going on with the variables?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I think I've successfully made the document public, so you should be able to make your own copy.

Wait. Here.