Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Problems when using a pattern for sketches

Dr_MonsterDr_Monster Member Posts: 9
edited October 2021 in Community Support
If you change the variable after patterning the sketch, the pattern may not follow the axis. Is there a way to match the axes while using the "Apply per instance"?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c78565381a77d388e72be2d9/w/63c854e399ff98be536c4721/e/16e4c4e6dfa34d515d8d990f

Best Answers

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    Answer ✓
    @Dr_Monster
    This is an issue on our side. Feature pattern of sketches does not play well with configurations. For pattern of sketches with Apply per instance option we strip all external constraints and then solve the sketch in transformed position. Notice that if you remove this dimension 

Sketch jumps, I suppose to the position in which it was initially built. That what happens in pattern instances. Please see the work-around here.  I moved configuration-dependent offset into Sketch 1 and started Sketch 2 at origin - seems to do better.  I'll add this example to the open issue we have on this problem. Thank you for bringing it up and sorry for the hassle.  
  • Dr_MonsterDr_Monster Member Posts: 9
    Answer ✓
    Thank you so much. If you don't mind, I hope you can look at other pattern issues.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5e61fc96539f03358c9a9d23/w/e5be456ce8c9624b85fd8437/e/d4cb4df37278ef181662fc4d

This is an example using a circular pattern; this rotates based on the focus of the curve of "Sketch 1" and makes racks.

The length of the rack is not limited to the curve of "Sketch 1" and changes independently.

It visually expressed the feature pattern of "Sketch 2".

This is an extreme increase in the "Count" variable. It works similarly to what I said at first. As you said, I think I referred to the elements that the sketch initially created.

It would be very grateful if you could give me tips on making this pattern equal. And I'm sorry I seem to have asked a difficult question.

Answers

• bruce_williamsbruce_williams Member, Developers Posts: 842 PRO
    I do not think Feature Pattern is meant for sketch and I am surprised it partially works...  I believe you can do this in the sketch itself.  Or create actual features or parts to pattern.
    www.accuratepattern.com
    Thank you for your answer. I made a simple example because I thought I lacked explanation.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/0792e11289ab5f3465a1a908/w/250f524c9f3177bd4a0baae2/e/0bfff230092e40a47b1bb09b

I'm using "Beam" features to create structures that can be configured and changed; for example, by entering the width, height and the number of racks, I've created a single structure.

At this time, a sketch was used to cut the racks appropriately, and a linear pattern was used.

In this case, although it was generated without a problem, the racks cannot maintain the same interval as soon as the #width is changed.

This phenomenon occurs when circular patterns, linear patterns, and even mirror features are used.
    I just want to know if the problem is my mistake or a bug.

• lanalana Onshape Employees Posts: 689
    Answer ✓
    @Dr_Monster
    This is an issue on our side. Feature pattern of sketches does not play well with configurations. For pattern of sketches with Apply per instance option we strip all external constraints and then solve the sketch in transformed position. Notice that if you remove this dimension 

Sketch jumps, I suppose to the position in which it was initially built. That what happens in pattern instances. Please see the work-around here.  I moved configuration-dependent offset into Sketch 1 and started Sketch 2 at origin - seems to do better.  I'll add this example to the open issue we have on this problem. Thank you for bringing it up and sorry for the hassle.  
    Answer ✓
    Thank you so much. If you don't mind, I hope you can look at other pattern issues.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/5e61fc96539f03358c9a9d23/w/e5be456ce8c9624b85fd8437/e/d4cb4df37278ef181662fc4d

This is an example using a circular pattern; this rotates based on the focus of the curve of "Sketch 1" and makes racks.

The length of the rack is not limited to the curve of "Sketch 1" and changes independently.

It visually expressed the feature pattern of "Sketch 2".

This is an extreme increase in the "Count" variable. It works similarly to what I said at first. As you said, I think I referred to the elements that the sketch initially created.

It would be very grateful if you could give me tips on making this pattern equal. And I'm sorry I seem to have asked a difficult question.