Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Export to 3D formats

joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
I have done a design that is to be cut with a 2 1/2-D CNC router.  The router software accepts .dxf, .dwg, .eps. .ai and .svg files.  None of which OnShape exports.  Note that 3D FDM printers are not the only devices that can be driven with a 3D design.  

If there is a path between what OnShape exports and what VCarve Pro accepts, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

Comments

• GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 376 PRO
    Hello Joseph
    If you are in a part studio you can right click on a face and export as DXF. It works well with VCarve and Aspire
    You can also export a sketch in the same way.
  • michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like neither version of VCarve nor Aspire from Vectric support STEP file or other neutral file imports, which are nearly universally accepted by most other CAM products.  That kind of surprises me given the popularity of the products amongst CNC router folks.  However, as @GWS50 indicated right clicking on a face and  selecting "Export as DXF/DWG" works well and I've used that approach for laser cutting 2D designs.

• PrachiPrachi Member, OS Professional Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    Vetric uses VCarve which supports 2d formats like DXF.
    Vetric switches to PartWorks3D for STL formats as well as some other formats.
    Have used both for a Shop Bot CNC router.
  • joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
    Thanks.  Exporting a 3D drawing is not the same as exporting a face.  I have exported faces for laser cutters, but there I only needed a 2D drawing.  And I found that importing a .obj file to VCarve Pro does not produce an object that can have toolpaths associated with it (unless I have a reply to the question I posed to Vectric yesterday).
    If I have 2.5D cutting to do, I create a new sketch and reference the outlines from the the part and also reference the pockets of the part as well. Then export the sketch and when in the CAM software I can use the sketch (with the outlines and pockets) to create the different paths
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    Thanks.  Exporting a 3D drawing is not the same as exporting a face.  I have exported faces for laser cutters, but there I only needed a 2D drawing.  And I found that importing a .obj file to VCarve Pro does not produce an object that can have toolpaths associated with it (unless I have a reply to the question I posed to Vectric yesterday).
    Are you trying to export a 3D shape as a dxf file for example? I believe all the formats you listed in your first post are exclusively 2D formats. dxf certainly is. You can make a 2D drawing in Onshape (without any DIMS, labels, title blocks, etc), and export the whole drawing into many different 2D formats, including dxf. Or, as mentioned earlier, export a face as dxf from the part studio.

Most CAM software though uses 3D formats, which are almost universally STEP for any CAM software. I can see if the CAM software you are using is exclusively for 2D shapes such as signs, then it would need a 2D format such as dxf.

• wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
    @joseph_newcomer
    Why not export the model as an STL or OBJ  it looks like Vcarve pro will take either of those. 

• steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve got a little piece of survey equipment that puts out 3D DXF’s

Every once in a while, I take it out and charge it up and use it a little bit to make sure the thing doesn’t die on me

Here’s a small file created by that device

If you look in the upper right of this GIF, you’ll see the name that this device gave to this file

It starts off by calling the file a 3D file

Then it gives the date

The time

Then the .dxf file format extension

As the crosshair cursor moves from point to point — notice the coordinates in the upper left. Notice how there are points sticking up above the XY plane (the blue grid)

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    @joseph_newcomer
    Why not export the model as an STL or OBJ  it looks like Vcarve pro will take either of those. 

Would V-Carve try to program the CNC router toolpath to follow the meshes that make up the STL (or OBJ, I suppose)?  For example, the wall of a disk exported as an STL has a series of "flats" rather than the continuous circular profile that STEP has.
  • wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 477 PRO
     I don't have a good answer to that. I do not have V-Carve pro or any way to test it, does it have a way of smoothing between triangulation points? From what I understand a 3D DXF can contain sketches and surfaces so what does it use from that file???    An interesting quote I found ???
    (While you can work with 3D elements in DXF, it only fully supports 2D objects.)   ???
     Or is this in relation to only standard DXF? 

edited December 2021

The GIF below takes a little time to start rotating

This GIF shows that you can create objects of different type throughout 3D space, in one file. And then export as a DXF to where the DXF will retain the solids, the surfaces, and the wire objects

You can then import that DXF into another CAD program where you will have the same in one file

Solids

Surfaces

Wire objects

Notice that some objects are sitting on the XY plane, and some are not. Some are sitting up above the XY plane.

These objects that were imported into the second CAD program, are sitting in the same exact location that they were when created and then exported out of the first CAD program

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 663 PRO
    I understand recently Autodesk made a 3D version of their 40 year industry standard 2D dxf. But I've never heard of anyone using 3D dxf files for anything. Engineers use STEP files when working between different CAD systems when the native CAD format won't work. Manufacturing uses STEP file for CAM. Flat plate type manufacturers use 2D DXF files for operations such as waterjet and lasercut. 3D printers use STL files. I've just never heard of any manufacturing sub-set using 3D DXF files.
    edited December 2021
    But I've never heard of anyone using 3D dxf files for anything.

“Did you get that Pa?”

“They don’t use those doggone blasted 3D DXF’s for nothing ! — AND I MEAN NOTHING !!! “

“Yeah, I got that Ma.”

—————————————

I used to love those old Ma & Pa Kettle shows

Alright —  enough dumb levity

As far as the extent to which 3D DXF files are in use, I have no idea.

I just don’t want people walking away with the thought that DXF’s are only 2D and have been that way for ages – because that is not the case

DXF’s are 3D capable and have been for decades

I took a CAD app and made a file with solids, surfaces, and wires. Then exported as version 12 DXF. Here is the pop-up menu for the VERSIONS of DXF that were in the export dialogue

Now best I can tell, version 12 DXF was probably between the year of 92 and 95 as far as the release date. Because autocad 12 was released in 92. And LT 95 probably coincided with AutoCAD Light 95. So …

Anyway — then I imported that v12 DXF into another CAD program. And exported that as a SAT and brought that into Onshape, and Onshape brought in the solids, and the surfaces and the wires

From a 3D CAD file

To v12 DXF export (92 to 95 file format)

To import of that DXF

To SAT export

To SAT import

and after all that, there are still solids, surfaces, and wires in 3D space

Best I can tell, it looks like DXF started supporting 3D not long after AutoCAD started supporting solids. Solids were introduced to AutoCAD in 1990

Incidentally — a short web search came up with this. It looks like the 3D DXF is not gonna work with VCarve

https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35916&p=262483&hilit=3D+file+formats#p262483

edited December 2021
    By the way, for those of you that have never heard of Ma and Pa Kettle, look up — Ma and Pa Kettle do math — on YouTube

Just about impossible for me to keep from laughing

Thanks.  Exporting a 3D drawing is not the same as exporting a face.  I have exported faces for laser cutters, but there I only needed a 2D drawing.  And I found that importing a .obj file to VCarve Pro does not produce an object that can have toolpaths associated with it (unless I
    Yes DXF supports 3D drawings; in fact, I have been using 3D DXF files for about five years on another project.  The disappointment was that while VCarve Pro can import STL and OBJ files, it doesn't let me create toolpaths for them.  I have also asked this question of the VCarve people, but the project has gotten lower priority because I can't get certified on the CNC router until February (there is a lack of instructor problem at our makerspace).  So come late February, I should be able to start on this project again.  Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions.