Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Derived Part orientation

rocketbobrocketbob Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
When adding a derived part, is there a way to change its orientation?  In other words, when I create a new part that is derived I want to place a bottom flat part of the derived part's surface onto the top plane.

Also is there a way to add a derived part based on a surface feature?

Thanks,
Bob

Best Answers

Answers

• rocketbobrocketbob Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Thanks, was able to transform/rotate the derived part but haven't figured out how to "mate" the derived part to the origin of the new part.

To clear up my second question, it is just a rectangular sketch with some bolt holes.  After the part was extruded I chamfered the corners.  I don't need the entire part, just the flat surface of the feature with the bolt holes and chamfered corners.
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @bob_4 At this point of time there is no standard method available for your second question but one work around I would like to suggest. You can create a new part with minimum thickness (say 0.00002 mm) by thicken option on the surface you described. This new part can be derived whenever required.