Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Add password option when sharing links?

jacques_spillmannjacques_spillmann OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
I recently had to share a link to a Microsoft Document and saw that I could setup a password for people to enter before they could access the document.
I think this would be a great feature to have in Onshape and that would add an additional layer of safety.
My clients get nervous when I share links with them and their legitimate concern is that anyone with the link can open the document. If I can protect the link using the password as well that would be an improvement.
What do you all think? How often do you use link sharing and do you have another way to make it more secure?

Comments

• john_rousseaujohn_rousseau Member, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 353
    Hi @jacques_spillmann. That's an interesting request. I hadn't thought about this before. It would be just a bit more security on our anonymous (link) sharing feature.

I'll bring this up at our security team meeting.

Thanks!
    -John
    John Rousseau / VP, Technical Operations / Onshape Inc.
  • jacques_spillmannjacques_spillmann OS Professional Posts: 50 PRO
    That's great! I'd think this would be a quick and easy thing to add, right?  :)
  • tim_hess427tim_hess427 Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    I also like this idea and seems like a good compromise - I would also ask for the ability for the password to expire after a set amount of time. 

I don't really try sharing outside of my company any more because of three issues:
    1. I don't want to create an anonymous link that anybody can use if they stumble across it. 
    2. When I have suggested that a vendor/partner creates a free account, they are resistant to having to sign up for something they're not familiar with and don't have time to learn.
    3. When I have had people create free accounts, they don't always understand that the stuff they upload from their account will be public - which could lead to inadvertent sharing of confidential information. 
    This suggestion seems like it could be a good middle ground. 
  • adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    I like the idea! 

An alternative implementation for security would be to create the anonymous link, and that have a method for someone (specified) in the company to approve access when the link is accessed.

In general, we are currently not using the functionality to share a link because of security, adding another layer would make that option more feasible.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager