Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Context for Kiri:moto tabs in different documents

Hi everyone,

I have started using Kiri:moto for CAM in order to generate gcode to send to a cnc router. It's generally working OK but there is one huge issue, and I'm not sure if it's a legitimate issue with the software or I'm doing something wrong.

If I have an OnShape document with a part designed in a Part Studio tab, and I want to cut it on my router, I log in to OnShape, open that OnShape document, click on the plus in the lower left, go to applications, and then Kiri:Moto. This adds a Kiri:Moto tab to the document, as expected. I can then use Kiri:Moto to do my layout and download a gcode file.

The problem is, Kiri:Moto seems to have only one context for me as a user. By that I mean that if I add a K:M tab in one document, and set up some parts to be cut, it works fine. But then if I go to a completely different OnShape document and add a Kiri:Moto tab to that second document, it opens up where I left off in the first document. Of course, I can clear the screen in K:M and do my new layout in the new OnShape document, but the problem is I can't save a document-specific instance of K:M. If I start over in the second document and then go back to the first document, the Kiri:Moto tab in the first document now shows the work I did in the totally unrelated second document. This is incredibly frustrating! If I ever need to go back to an old part and change a few small things, I have to do the entire Kiri:Moto process all over again from scratch. I am in the middle of developing about a dozen assemblies each with a couple small parts, and I need to be able to do layouts with lots of parts on a panel. Having to start from scratch every time I need to tweak something on a part means I am spending 80 or 90% of my CAD time re-doing layouts in Kiri:moto rather than actually making useful changes.

Am I missing something obvious that would let me associate an instance of the Kiri:Moto tab with a specific document, and "separate" it out from all my other documents? Or is this just the way it works? If this is just the way it works, are there any other web-based CAM options?