Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Measure to hole center, not Min Dist

juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
I know I'm probably missing something pretty basic, but how do you measure to the hole center from an edge?  All I can do is get the Min Distance which is what I don't want.  I searched but didn't find anything.  Is there a way to toggle between Min, Max and Center when measuring between holes?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I agree with the OP that when you select an edge and a hole, the "measure" should, at minimum, report the centre distance measured normal from the edge.
    This may not be the same as an x or y from a corner, if the edge is not orthogonal to the construction axes.
    It seems to me that the minimum distance is a less fundamental, more "processed" output.

Answers

• juan_avilesjuan_aviles Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I didn't realize it had to be a point.  I was measuring from the edge and surface.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I agree with the OP that when you select an edge and a hole, the "measure" should, at minimum, report the centre distance measured normal from the edge.
    This may not be the same as an x or y from a corner, if the edge is not orthogonal to the construction axes.
    It seems to me that the minimum distance is a less fundamental, more "processed" output.
  • stg434stg434 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Would it be a nice touch if in the measurement dialog the DX, DY, DZ were color coded to the measurement lines on the model?
  • raj_Onshaperaj_Onshape Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    If it makes it any easier to remember.... we use R->G->B as X->Y->Z convention throughout
  • shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    @stg434 Present color coding of measurement lines in the model is referred from the view cube X, Y and Z lines.
  • Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ juan_aviles , As a work around you can unhide the sketch which used to make that hole then select the center point in sketch and edge it will show the distance from center.

• michael3424michael3424 Member Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭
    Another 3D CAD program gives you the edge to center distance when you select the inside wall of the hole and an edge.  Would that be a possibility in Onshape or does it violate some sort of UI philosophy?
    edited September 2015
    @ptrajkumar initially I didn't realized the R,G,B (Red, Green, Blue) for X,Y and Z. It's very easy to remember. Thanks a lot for sharing it.
  • stg434stg434 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    @stg434 Present color coding of measurement lines in the model is referred from the view cube X, Y and Z lines.
    True that...however, color coding the DX values etc. would require one less location for the eyes to refer to to get the context of the measurements...you are already looking at the model for the reference lines and then looking at the measurements...
    I would also like to add one enhancement in this. Whenever user need to see the measurement lines, every time it is required to move the mouse cursor on dimensions in measurement window. When cursor is moved away from it, lines will disappear. These lines are required to appear there for longer time whenever user wants to rotate/zoom and see the model dimensions. So, it would be nice to have the measurement lines for extended time. Extended time can be 3-4 seconds or user should able to define it in user settings in manage account section.
    Thanks
  • viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    @juan_aviles , User can get center distance by selecting hole and edge point  in term of DX, DY, DZ  center value (DX=Red, DY=Green, DZ=Blue show color coding for measurement lines) as shown in below video.