Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Customization of feature dialog boxes

jacob_kingeryjacob_kingery Member Posts: 39 EDU
What all can be customized in the feature dialog box?  For example, is it possible to put always-visible labels next to parameter inputs?

Comments

• Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    edited September 2015
    There is very limited customization available for feature UIs right now. What is available is done through "UIHint" annotations above fields in the precondition. The options available are in an std enum in uihint.gen.fs, and they can be used as done in the oppositeDirection parameter in the definition of extrude in extrude.fs.

Simple labels would definitely be a helpful option. Are there any other options that you would find useful?

Let's keep this thread as a running backlog of feature requests for custom UI. 

• Options
    korikori Onshape Employees Posts: 25
    We have an internal project to add always-visible labels next to parameter inputs - I'm not sure when this will be finished, but it is in the works.
  • Options
    So I tried adding an "OPPOSITE_DIRECTION" UIHint to a boolean parameter like so:
    <div>definition.face1 is Query;<br></div><div>annotation { "Name" : "Face 2", "Filter" : EntityType.FACE, "MaxNumberOfPicks" : 1 }<br></div><div>definition.face2 is Query;<br></div><div>annotation { "Name" : "Reverse Cuts", "UIHint" : "OPPOSITE_DIRECTION" }<br></div><div>definition.reverseCuts is boolean;</div><div>annotation { "Name" : "Face 1", "Filter" : EntityType.FACE, "MaxNumberOfPicks" : 1 }<br></div>
    However, the result is not what I expected.  The icon seems to have associated itself with the second query parameter and the input for the boolean parameter seems to be completely gone; see below screenshots.  Did I do something silly?

Without UIHint:

With UIHint:

• Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    No, you didn't do anything silly, it's just a funky UI_HINT. The intended use case is for a feature with a length parameter that is flippable, like in extrude, revolve, etc.

The UI_HINTs we have are not documented, and they are by no means comprehensive. We haven't done a lot of work in this area, but, seeing as a user-facing UI is one of the most powerful parts about FS, we've probably got a ways to go here. We're very interested to see what things are most useful to you as you continue your projects. 

• Options
    I see, thanks for clarifying!

Speaking of things acting differently than expected, a few of us noticed something for query parameters with MaxNumberOfPicks = 1. We found ourselves expecting the dialog box to automatically move to the next input after the body (or face, edge, point, whatever) is selected, but it does not. This makes sense for inputs where multiple picks are allowed, but I know that I have found myself overriding my first pick because I had assumed the next input would be made active for inputs where I know that only one pick is allowed.  At least three of us noticed this difference between subconscious expectation and reality, which I thought was interesting.
  • Options
    dave_cowdendave_cowden Member, Developers Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    I'm finding that i need this. In my case, i have two length parameters, and I want to provide info to the user about what they are. 
  • Options
    Emily_Qi_WangEmily_Qi_Wang Member Posts: 13 EDU
    edited April 2016
    @kori 's comment in September said that the always-visible labels are in the works. Has there been any progress or update on this??

Some of our Features have more than a handful of input boxes and it would be great for our users to know what the inputs represent without meticulous tooltip hovering. Our client has expressed this concern in the scenario when the Features are re-opened in future sessions with the document. It could also be helpful to have these labels present for demonstrations of the Feature to people who are not already familiar with the specific Feature's precondition or dialog.

happy to elaborate or help discuss what the UI changes could be. Thanks in advance!