Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to paste the lookup table type of data.

Dr_MonsterDr_Monster Member Posts: 9
Hello!
  I really like using the 'Beam' feature. This feature makes the work much more efficient. However, when using this function, one problem makes me suffer.

When using several 'Beam' features in the part studio, I want to change my profile using the configuration list. Changing each profile element is very cumbersome.  
So I tried to set only one feature, copy it to the spreadsheet, and paste it on the configuration list. But as you know, it's impossible. This is because the type of lookup table cannot be pasted.

I know this is impossible, but I'm changing hundreds of profiles now, and it's so painful.
This is an example, but what I'm working on is no different :(
If there is any solution, please let me know. I hope you can talk freely in any way.

Answers

• Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I don't really have any ideas that would help you now that it's all set up already. All I can think of is making a separate feature with the same lookup table , which writes it all to a variable (variables can contain anything). Then you could copy and modify the Beam feature so it replaces the lookup table with space for the variable. That way you'd only have to edit or configure the one variable feature and everything else could update. Even that might not be super useful if you only have a few beam features, but lots of configurations. I think the real solution is for Onshape to update to allow the lookup tables to be pasted.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Dr_MonsterDr_Monster Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for your kind response. I'd better ask Onshape to allow it.
  • Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,060 PRO
    I had another idea for a workaround on this. It's still not ideal, but you could bypass the lookup table by using your own custom profiles in a configured part studio, that way each dimension of the profile can be configured separately. This would be more practical if your profiles are something like a round tube, and less practical if it's 8020 or something. Even with 8020, you could configure which profile you select, so you'd just have to produce those profiles in another part studio to reference (probably using the beam feature and "use" in a sketch). 
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Dr_MonsterDr_Monster Member Posts: 9
      I don't know if what I understand is correct, but is it constructing features using a 'custom profile'? I've already tried that method, but in that case, if several other assemblies use the same part studio, each profile cannot be changed.